Focus Discovery is a team of experts in linguistics, ediscovery law and process, and legal technology. The Focus Discovery team consults on and supports pre-review data minimization and technology assisted review projects, identifying key data quickly, maximizing cull rates, and applying technology to optimize review efficiencies. Focus Discovery Associate Search Consultant support the team’s goals by providing services including keyword search term generation and optimization, analyzing, iterating, and reporting on terms to clients, key document identification, ECA / data minimization pre-review, and technical support in technology assisted review (TAR). It is an entry-level role for a position with pre-review data minimization, through ECA analysis, keyword terms, and other means, as its core function.
The team adds value to traditional document review with smart application of technology to reduce review volume, increase consistency, optimize review efficiency, and assist counsel in finding the most relevant information first. Platforms the team supports include Brainspace and Relativity.
- Supports analysis and application of technology to reduce data volumes pre-review, organize remaining data, and identify relevant material
- Supports search consultation services, including:
- Reviews search terms provided by counsel and edits for proper syntax.
- Enters and executes keyword search in Relativity.
- Supports iterative search term refinement process.
- Generates reports on keyword search term effectiveness
- Internal point of contact for project management teams
- Supports process requirements in TAR, including data loading, re-scoring and re-batching
- Executes other Focus Tasks as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Behaviors
- Strong communication skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Technical aptitude.
- Experience with eDiscovery platforms (Relativity or Brainspace) preferred.
- Knowledge of dtSearch or Boolean syntax preferred.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work independently or as part of a team.
- Bachelor’s degree in linguistics, mathematics, computer science, or similar field of study
- 2 yrs client services in ediscovery
- 1 yrs experience in data minimization
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Duties are performed in a typical office environment while sitting at a desk or computer table. Duties require the ability to use a computer, communicate over the telephone, and read printed material.
- Duties may require being on call periodically and working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends).
- Duties may require the ability to travel via automobile or airplane, approximately 5% of the time will be spent traveling.
- Job may be required at a customer facility.
- Duties may require the ability to lift up to 20 lbs.