Disco is seeking a talented and experienced Software Engineer to join our engineering team working closely with AI/ML data science teams. You will be supporting our cutting edge AI features in the domain of legal technology. This position will help shape our data infrastructure and how our data scientists and other AI engineers find, access and transform data. You will further develop experience in advanced AI/ML, working with small teams to assist with a range of tasks, from transitioning R&D prototypes to production-grade software to developing ML and data infrastructure to support rapid prototyping.
As a software engineer, you will work with ML Scientists to prepare the data they need and write software to help speed up their work. From initial exploratory research, through optimization all the way to production. You will work to reproduce any production issues and use debuggers to do root cause analysis. You will be involved in supporting our highly distributed systems and our performant ML platforms. This is not a direct production role, but we take pride in what we do and stand behind any software we deploy.
In the AI lab we look at solutions from a combined software and data perspective. We include a view of the data as the foundation of our solutions. As such, you will develop a deep understanding of data transformations, data distribution shifts, data clustering, anomaly detection and more. The proper data platform allows optimal hardware utilization and strikes the right balance between data latency, throughput and cost.
Most of our applications are based on deep learning and statistical models, with particular emphasis on NLP tasks using techniques such as transfer learning with BERT. The successful candidate will have a conceptual understanding of machine learning workflows, ideally including experience implementing these workflows. AI/ML forms a core part of Disco’s brand and vision, and this position provides an opportunity to implement technology that will transform the legal domain, with significant benefits for the broader society.
Rank and pay will be commensurate with experience; Disco is committed to hiring top talent at all positions.
What You'll Do
- Develop, debug, and deploy software to support AI/ML data solutions in an R&D context and in backend production components
- Harden research prototypes in preparation for production deployment
- Provide engineering support for top-level ML scientists to help them access and manipulate data and build research prototypes
- Advise ML scientists on the engineering implications and opportunities of their ideas
- Adhere to appropriate engineering standards of scalability and robustness both in research and production-ready code
- Participate as a team member in domain-driven design processes, from requirements gathering to system design, implementation, and deployment
Who You Are
- 4+ years experience in software development and deployment
- 2+ years of experience in Python
- 2+ years of experience in AWS
- 2+ years working with highly distributed systems
- 1+ years of experience working with unstructured data (NLP/NLU preferred)
- Experience with data management systems, including relational databases, data frames, and distributed file systems
- Reasonable prior exposure to best practices in software development lifecycle, and a commitment to implementing these practices appropriately in context
- Personal communication skills to facilitate the productive professional interaction with ML scientists and other engineers
Even Better If You Have…
- Conceptual knowledge of machine learning techniques and workflows
- Mentored and or managed a small team of developers
- Basic understanding of machine learning methods, especially deep learning for NLP
- Familiarity with a few 3rd party tools and libraries in the ML space, such as PyTorch, Pandas, Tensorboard, CometML, CUDA, cuDF, Dask, RAPIDS, Jupyter Labs/notebooks, etc.
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) and Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- AWS offerings such as: batch, Sagemaker, SQS, ECR, ECS, Glue, Athena, etc.
- Kafka, protobuf, gRPC
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Competitive salary
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
DISCO provides a cloud-native, artificial intelligence-powered legal solution that simplifies ediscovery, legal document review and case management for enterprises, law firms, legal services providers and governments. Our scalable, integrated solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that DISCO has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy which requires all employees in the U.S. to be fully vaccinated, subject to applicable legal exemptions.