DISCO is seeking a Machine Learning Scientist to join our AI/ML team supporting our cutting-edge AI features in the domain of legal technology. The successful candidate will have a wide knowledge of techniques and theory in machine learning, with a special emphasis on deep learning. Most of our applications involve learning from document text, so NLP experience is of particular interest, especially experience with transfer learning using transformer models such as BERT.
AI/ML forms a core part of DISCO’s brand and vision, and this position provides an opportunity to develop ideas that will transform the legal domain with significant benefits for the broader society.
What You’ll Do
- Apply AI/ML domain knowledge to conceptualize, design, and develop AI/ML applications based on loose product or operational requirements
- Work with the team to monitor, maintain, and improve existing systems that assess document relevance based on document labeling
- Propose and execute applied research in topics relevant to the legal domain within Disco’s broader AI strategy of developing tools to identify the legal salience of documents
- Develop proof-of-concept prototypes for AI models and techniques
- Design experiments to assess the validity, quality, and usefulness of AI models
- Document research ideas for publication in patents or conference proceedings
Who You Are
- Strong knowledge of theory and techniques in machine learning generally
- Familiarity with a variety of techniques in deep learning
- 5-10+ years of experience in machine learning, data science, or software engineering
- Experience with deep learning frameworks, such as PyTorch (preferred), Tensorflow, MxNet, or others.
- Experience designing experiments and assessing results
- Innovative problem-solving skills demonstrated through the ability to rapidly conceptualize domain-driven problems and propose AI/ML solutions
- Software development skills sufficient for building AI/ML prototypes
- Ability to work with data provided in a variety of formats, including raw text, pandas DataFrames, or SQL databases
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Even Better If You Have
- Ph.D. in a relevant discipline
- Special knowledge of techniques for deep learning in NLP / NLU
- Demonstrable record of publications and/or patents indicating the ability to innovate and follow through on ideas
- Conceptual understanding of how AI/ML problems translate to specialized hardware, such as GPUs
DISCO’s Technology Stack
We use several technologies within the engineering organization, and the list is always growing. We don’t expect candidates to know all of these technologies.
Cloud Provider – AWS: EC2, Lambda, Aurora, Redshift, DynamoDB, ECS, SQS, SNS, Kinesis, S3, CloudFront, CloudFormation, SageMaker, KMS, CodePipeline, etc.
Visibility: ELK Stack for logging, Datadog, New Relic, Sentry.io, JupiterOne, Fossa
DSL-based Search: multiple large scale Elasticsearch Clusters searched using our Disco Query Language (DQL).
Event Bus: Kafka and Schema Registry
3rd Party Vendors: Redis, Auth0 for Cloud Identity Federation (SSO, SAML, etc)
AI: MinHash, FastText, Word2Vec, Convolution Neural Nets, Algorithmia (Lambda with GPUs) for training, PyTorch, Recurrent Neural Networks, Latent Dirichlet Allocation for Topic Modeling, etc.
Deployment: Terraform, Docker (via ECS), Consul for: App Config, Service Discovery, Shared Secrets.
Transport Mechanisms: Protobuf, Avro, HTTP Rest/JSON
CI/CD: Jenkins, CodePipeline, GitHub, Artifactory
Why Join DISCO’s Product Delivery Team
We intend to build a multi-billion dollar business and think you should come along for the ride because:
- We were the first movers to a cloud-based platform that has caused mass disruption within our market.
- Our CEO is a true market visionary. He graduated with a computer science degree at the age of 15 and followed with a JD from Harvard Law School at the age of 19. His unparalleled insights into the fundamental issues in legal and the potential of technology and artificial intelligence to change our market at its core provide the guiding light for DISCO’s long-term strategy.
- We believe that product delivery professionals including product managers, product designers and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. At DISCO, we only hire the top 1%, pay them well, and with equity, everyone has effectively been getting a raise each and every day. Given our product first mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Our logo, the circle and square, represents the best lawyers and the best product professionals in the world.
- We measure product delivery velocity by dollars of revenue per line of code, vs simply lines of code. This drives a very thoughtful and deliberate product design and development process that ensures we’re going to make money when we ship products. We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to ensure that our engineers have a disambiguated product intent when they are building.
- As a rule, we don’t commit to external product delivery dates as we believe that unnecessarily constrains our creativity from both a product and technology point of view.
- At DISCO respect isn’t earned it is assumed. Good humans inherently treat everyone respectfully. This is a very important concept at DISCO.
- Given the high caliber of talent, the cutting-edge cloud-based technology stack, and thoughtful and novel product and design approach, you’ll find yourself learning at a rate you’ve not likely experienced in your career. Given that we only hire professionals that are passionate about their craft, you’ll truly enjoy building a great software product and get in the best “career shape” of your life.
- Over the next 4 years, we’ll be growing our product delivery organization. There will be incredible growth opportunities along the way.
- We use the “2 Pizza Team” organization design where small autonomous teams own a piece of a product or platform and ship software at rates comparable to a very lean and scrappy startup. We achieve consistency across these teams in the areas of design, product-wide use cases and technical concerns through a strategically focused set of overlay functions.
- Finally, while we’re an incredibly fast-growing organization, as a rule, we do not work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacation, and continuous fun if you’re passionate about your craft.
If you want to win while getting better than you’ve ever been, come to DISCO.
DISCO is a recognized leader in legal technology. Founded in 2013, DISCO’s mission is to create great technology to modernize the practice of law. Our solutions apply artificial intelligence and cloud computing to help lawyers and legal teams improve legal outcomes for their clients. Corporate legal departments, law firms, and government agencies around the world use DISCO for ediscovery, case management, compliance, disputes, and investigations.
DISCO recently raised $100 million, for a total of $235 million in venture capital. The company’s valuation is $785 million — a demonstration of investor confidence in legaltech as a category of enterprise cloud computing, and a validation that DISCO is disrupting the broader cloud computing industry. We are using our investment to enhance our cloud technology platform and AI-powered products and services, and to continue to expand our presence outside of North America.
Are you ready to revolutionize the practice of law? Join us!
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k) (EU coming soon)
- Competitive salary plus stock options
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.