Control Risks is a specialist risk consultancy that helps to create secure, compliant, and resilient organizations in an age of ever-changing risk. Working across disciplines, technologies, and geographies, everything we do is based on our belief that taking risks is essential to our client’s success.
We provide our clients with the insight to focus resources and ensure they are prepared to resolve the issues and crises that occur in any ambitious global organization.
We go beyond problem-solving and give our clients the insight and intelligence they need to realize opportunities and grow. From the boardroom to the remotest location, we have developed an unparalleled ability to bring order to chaos and reassurance to anxiety.
Working with our clients, our people are given direct responsibility, career development, and the opportunity to work collaboratively on fascinating projects in a rewarding and inclusive global environment.
As a trusted client advisor and business leader, the Principal is responsible for managing delivery of eDiscovery services to our law firm and corporate clients, identifying and securing new opportunities for the Technology practice and managing new and existing client relationships. The role is a key member of the Technology practice and oversees the Discovery Project Management and eDiscovery Consulting Team in the U.S.
The Principal should have a technical background, including extensive work with eDiscovery tools, analytics solutions and workflows. Additionally, as the Discovery Project Management Team lead in the U.S., the Principal must have experience leading and mentoring junior and mid-level eDiscovery personnel across all aspects of project management and workflows.
A successful Principal will seamlessly transition new engagement wins into service delivery and work closely with the Forensics, eDiscovery Consulting and Project Management and technical Operations teams through the full lifecycle of the projects. The Principal will effectively apply their knowledge of litigation support, investigations and technology to bridge the gap between clients’ matter requirements and Control Risks’ production and technical resources to ensure work is done to client satisfaction and company standards across a portfolio of matters being supported by the U.S. team domestically and abroad.
The Principal will define workflows, manage tasks and balance priorities across projects through active management, direction and coordination of the Discovery Project Management team. The Principal position will require collaboration with Technology practice teams outside of the U.S., including in Brazil, EMEA and APAC, and will help to develop and align on standards and best practices across the global project management team. The ideal candidate will have previous experience and knowledge of international markets and be able to leverage existing relationships to drive revenue for the Technology practice domestically and abroad
Tasks and responsibilities
Project management lead:
- Provide leadership and guidance to dynamic teams in a fast-paced, multi-task
environment with critical deadlines.
- Continuously monitor and manage multiple eDiscovery projects being supported by
the Discovery Project Management team from beginning to end.
- Maintain accurate and current records of all project aspects, such as utilization and
realization, relating to and/or impacting to profitability and other commercial
- Working closely with the Discovery Project Management team and leadership from
other regions, set and manage internal and external client expectations, SLAs and
best practices throughout project lifecycles.
- Responsible for ensuring team execution and delivery of client requests on time and
within budget estimates. The Principal will also be responsible for directly influencing
the Discovery Project Management team in matter upselling, scope expansion and
securing proven client loyalty.
- Contribute to identifying and managing risks throughout all facets of engagements.
- Drive quality work product from the team, create ongoing internal and external
training curriculum for upskilling technical abilities, such as advanced analytics, and
mentor project managers into becoming better consultants within available budget
- Recruit and maintain talent to align with staffing needs of the Technology practice.
- Provide leadership in the design, implementation and management of multiple
workflows and management of RelativityOne, Nuix, Brainspace and other eDiscovery
- Collaborating closely with leaders in other regions, oversee and lead on authorship of
all standard documentation, as well as specifications for workflow and project
- Monitor progress of programs and internal initiatives by tracking activities, resolving
outstanding problems, publishing progress reports and then offering remediation
- Take an analytical approach across the organization to accurately develop and
manage behaviours and activities using analytics, reports and metrics. Take a
systematic approach, quickly identifying issues and route to appropriate teams and
groups for resolution while remaining mindful of matter budget.
Discovery Consulting and Business Development:
- Support growth initiatives for Discovery Consulting in the U.S. market and provide
geographic leadership for the Technology practice.
- Support the identification and targeting of key law firm and corporate accounts with
investigative and litigation support needs domestically and abroad.
- Demonstrate expertise in addressing challenges when conducting investigations and
providing litigation support services in complex jurisdictions.
- Serve as Client Relationship Manager for 3-5 named key accounts to help in driving
repeat business and growth within the account.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Discovery Consulting, marketing and the Compliance,
- Forensics and Intelligence practice domestically and internationally, to craft
campaigns that will result in increased Technology revenue. Originate and deliver
Technology revenue of $500k per annum at minimum.
Thought Leadership and Innovation:
- Industry awareness and contribution to business development efforts through participation in industry events, client demos and internal technology initiatives.
- Ability to develop and implement new ideas and workflows to create customized solutions on a client-by-client basis.
- Contribute to 3-5 whitepapers, webinars and/or panel discussions per year to increase brand recognition in the market.
Knowledge and experience
- Hands on experience managing and leading a Discovery team in support of large scale
corporate and law firm clients.
- Experience consulting on and selling eDiscovery/data analytics services in the U.S. and
- Experience and familiarity with all phases of litigation, including forensic data preservation
and collection, data processing, review, analytics, and production.
- Understanding of fundamentals of effective project management in eDiscovery projects
- Strong analytical and complex problem-solving
- Juris Doctor, Masters/MBA or graduate degree; experience supporting law firms or inhouse legal and compliance teams
- Experience and familiarity with industry analytics tools such as Brainspace, Relativity
Analytics, and Reveal AI.
- Experience supporting Merger Review Second Requests and delivering Managed
Services to enterprise clients.
Qualifications and specialist skills
- 8-10 years of professional eDiscovery, legal technology, litigation support and project
- Bachelor’s degree
- Knowledge of industry applications including RelativityOne and Nuix
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving ability and adaptability
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple processes
- Availability to work extended hours as needed when client project loads increase
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical solutions to non-technical audiences
- Possesses excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with excellent follow through, professional communication
and attention to detail
- Proven ability to work well in a team-based environment
- Willingness to travel as needed