- Full Time
Lead e-Discovery Counsel
London, Glasgow, Manchester and Northampton
As a Barclays Lead e-Discovery Counsel, you will be providing legal advice to Barclays on the discovery/disclosure component of Litigation matters and Regulatory requests globally, including litigations, disclosure orders, regulatory investigations, non-party document requests and internal investigations. Spearheading a small e-Discovery team, you’ll also collaborate with internal and external counsel to formulate appropriate eDiscovery strategy and work with a range of senior level stakeholders.
Barclays is one of the world’s largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognizes and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
• Establishing a strategic and consistent approach to document analysis and review across Litigation matters, including partnerships with outside counsel
• Ensuring that the eDiscovery component of each Barclays matter is conducted in a manner consistent with Barclays eDiscovery Target Operating Model
• Collaborating with and connecting and liaising between internal Litigation and technology resources with respect to eDiscovery requests
• Conducting presentations and training to the Litigation team regarding eDiscovery best practices and issues of interest in area of eDiscovery
• Working with internal eDiscovery Counsel to address strategic discovery issues
• Drafting documentation and opinions related to Disposal Hold and Defensible Disposal
• Spearheading strategic change programs within the eDiscovery Team
• Guaranteeing that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements
What we’re looking for:
• A Qualified Lawyer and experience in a litigation setting
• Proven track record of advising lawyers on eDiscovery strategy and experience managing the eDiscovery component of complex cases
• Experience providing legal analysis on issues of burden, proportionality and eDiscovery as well as advanced knowledge and understanding of the market for eDiscovery services
• Working experience with eDiscovery vendors and using eDiscovery review platforms
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Experience implementing technology assisted review
• Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients, customers, and colleagues
• A UK Qualified Lawyer
Where will you be working?
In the heart of Canary Wharf, our headquarters at Churchill Place boasts onsite amenities such as; a gym, staff restaurant and deli bar, and is easily accessible by tube and bus links. With a population of around 5000 staff the atmosphere is second to none with a real buzz being created around the offices within.
Our new state-of-the-art Campus, right in the heart of Glasgow is a hub of creative collaboration. A place where everyone can bring their true selves to work and reach their full potential. Home to 5,000 of our colleagues, our Tradeston campus will support the community in more ways than one – by creating thousands of new career opportunities and celebrating local artists. A short walk from Central Station on the south of the Clyde, it will be a key location for the Barclays business that will deepen our ties with the city and its communities.
In the centre of Spinningfields, Hardman Street is right in the centre of the best of Manchester’s professional business network. A multi divisional space with Corporate, Wealth, Premier and Digital colleagues, the offices include a client suite for meetings for up to 100 people, but are equally intimate for smaller meetings. Set in the heart of the cities gyms, bars, restaurants and shopping, Barclays offices are a real benefit to its 300 staff and an attractive venue for clients.
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we’ve been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997.
We purchased the building from the landlord in early 2018 as a sign of our commitment to investment in Northampton. Plans to further develop this Campus-style location are under way to allow for a real collaborative work environment. Based just off the A45 it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.